the makings of chinese food

by - 9:07 AM

Hi. My name is Jessica, and I have this blog called Living Portland. Nice to meet you. These past few weeks have flown by again – my day job really takes ahold of me sometimes.

About a month ago, the boy and I decided we wanted to try to make our own Chinese food. I’m not really sure where the idea came from but we both thought it sounded fun and so off we went to get a cookbook. Realizing we needed about 100 ingredients to make said Chinese dishes, off we went to Uwajimaya to stock up on the necessities. If you haven’t been and you live in the Portland area, Uwajimaya is an Asian supermarket that has everything you could ever desire. And then some.

I looked like a total amateur carrying around our cookbook while scouring for ingredients. It’s not easy when most things aren’t in English. I got a lot of smiles from folks, carrying around that cookbook and all. I can only imagine they were feeling sorry for me, or snickering inside because they knew I hadn’t a clue what I was getting myself into.

The recipe for making Chinese food, you see, requires a dash of being OK with getting every dish and utensil in your kitchen dirty and a cup of patience. See what I did there?

Honestly, it’s not that difficult. A lot of sauces and marinades and a good wok helps. It’s not quite the same as a restaurant but it’s pretty good! Plus, it’s just a fun thing to do with your significant other. So long as you don’t kill each other by the end.

Behold my stellar photography skills:




You May Also Like

0 comments

Instagram